- Album name: Reel Music
- Group name: the Beatles
- Year: 1982
- Number of discs: one
- Label: Capitol Records
- Collection: Selman
- Distinguishing characteristics:
- Scratched into side one of LP: SV-1-12199 G-1
- Scratched into side two of LP: SV-2-12199 G-1 #3
- Buy it on Amazon: $88.88
Level of familiarity before listening
This is a compilation of songs from the Beatles’ five movies, of which I’ve only seen one: the Get Back documentary from 2021, which is represented here in its earlier form Let It Be (1970). I do know all of these songs, though.
Here are all of the Beatles records that I’ve reviewed:
- Revolver (1966): 5/5
- Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band (1967): 5/5
- The White Album (1968): 4/5
- Abbey Road (1969): 5/5
- MORE get back session (1969?): 3/5
- Studio Sessions Volume One (1973): 4/5
- Rock ‘n’ Roll Music (1976): 5/5
- The Beatles at the Hollywood Bowl (1977): 5/5
- Love Songs (1977): 5/5
- Rarities (1980): 5/5
What I expected
Just 14 songs from A Hard Day’s Night, Help!, Magical Mystery Tour, Yellow Submarine and Let It Be, in chronological order.
What it was actually like
In order most to least excellent, based entirely on the 14 songs contained therein, here is how I rank these five movies:
- Help! (1965)
- A Hard Day’s Night (1964)
- Magical Mystery Tour (1967), Yellow Submarine (1968), Let It Be (1970)
Sorry for the three-way tie. Those really were not among the Beatles’ best efforts.
Within each movie, below is how I rank the individual songs.
- Ticket To Ride
- You’ve Got to Hide Your Love Away
I’ve never been able to decide if Help! is the last of the “early Beatles” era or the first of the “middle Beatles” era, but I do consider it to be the beginning of a string of four records (along with Rubber Soul, Revolver and Sgt. Pepper) that are collectively my favorites.
A Hard Day’s Night
- Can’t Buy Me Love
- A Hard Day’s Night
- I Should Have Known Better
- And I Love Her
And for a different approach to I Should Have Known Better, you must check out the Skatalites’ version.
Magical Mystery Tour
- Magical Mystery Tour
- I Am the Walrus
- All You Need Is Love
- Yellow Submarine
Let It Be
- Get Back
- Let It Be
- The Long and Winding Road
The Long and Winding Road is certainly one of the worst Beatles songs.
4/5: would listen again